Halloween Safety tips for pets
Halloween can be a night of fun for most of us, but can be a frightening evening for our companion animals. Sometimes family pets may become scared, anxious, and downright stressed by neighborhood “ghosts and goblins”.
Follow these Halloween safety “tips and tricks” to help your companion animal have a Happy Halloween:
- Never give your pet candy, decorations or wrappers. Chocolate is often harmful to pets.
- Always make sure your pet has identification on him/her. Your door is likely to open and close all evening to provide “treats” to children. Take good care not to let your pet loose by accident.
- Keep all electrical cords out of your pet’s reach.
- Give your pet a quiet place that is safe on such a busy night.
- Only dress your pet up if he/she likes it. Avoid costumes with small pieces that your pet could bite off and choke on. It’s best to choose a safe and simple costume. Pets can become tangled in tight fitting costumes with strings, belts and ties.
A jack-o-lantern is very festive; however, if it has a candle in it, this could harm your pet if he/she gets too close. Always be careful with jack-o-lanterns and have a safe and happy holiday!