The Cummings Arts and Cultural Council is proud to present the Varis Performing Arts Series. All performances will be held in the Agnes Varis Auditorium in the Agnes Varis Campus Center (building O on the campus map). The performances are free admission for all.
- The Joel LaRue Smith Afro Cuban Jazz Trio
- Saturday, March 3, 2012
- Pianist, arranger and composer, Joel LaRue Smith’s talent and commitment bring a unique passion to music. His music in-corporates emotional and cultural diversities, traveling Afro-Cuban rhythmic patterns, from Jazz harmonic music to classical music, creating a tapestry of musical themes in his playing and compositions. What results is a sound colored with unpredictable delights, imagination, playfulness, rich textures and passion, as he searches for ways to redefine musical experience, while integrating deep-rooted traditions.
My compositions are a mixture of infectious Afro-Cuban dance rhythms and sensual jazz harmonies. Listening to this music is like eating a bowl of gumbo or asopao. One doesn’t merely listen to this music…one must feel and taste the rhythm. The traditions are old, the music is new..
- Claudio Ragazzi-Nando Michelin Duo
- Saturday, April 21, 2012
- Composer and guitarist Claudio Ragazzi has been writing award winning music for film and television, scoring hundreds of projects and performing with some of today’s most respected musicians at renowned concert halls in the world. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Berklee College and was the recipient of the prestigious Duke Ellington Master’s Award, receiving the Boston Music Awards that same year. Claudio has also been commissioned works for plays and ballets. The Boston Globe says,
[Claudio Ragazzi] has long been one of greater Boston’s treasures.
- After a very successful career in his homeland of Uruguay, Nando Michelin came to Boston, attracted by Berklee College of Music where he continued developing his skills as a piano player and composer. Upon graduation, in 1991, he recorded some of his original music for Perro Andaluz, a Uruguayan label, and that set the direction he was to take.
…Most of what I write is triggered by a very specific approach to the drums.His music has received wide acclaim. Jazz Times called his album, ART
an ear-grabbing gallery of breath-taking originals.